Wednesday, February 3, 2010

COUPONS COUPONS COUPONS!

I have been "couponing" now for about 6 - 7 months. I was a Wal-Mart girl in every way. If it was in our house, it came from Wal-Mart. It is a one stop shop. Underwear, bread, hairspray, milk, diapers, and a cute pair of jeans!! The problem with the one stop shop is I always spent a lot more money on things I didn't need then on the things I really did need. It is kinda like Costco, you always walk out with things you don't need. Don't get me wrong, I love Wal-Mart, but it was not the best thing for my checkbook! I found out about a class that gave you the ins and outs of couponing. I was always one for a bargain, but I had no idea how many "bargains" I was missing out on. Long story short, I have cut my grocery bill by about $250 a month and have increased my food storage in the same token. It has become a challenge to see how much I can save. My one store stop has turned into 3 to 4 stores but it is amazing what you can save if you are willing to go to other places.

I have recently taken my couponing to a new level. Not sure if this is a good level or sheer madness. My husband would agree with the later. I get 5 Sunday papers and it is now a Sunday ritual to "cut" coupons with the kids - hey that is family time right? And yes I bought coupons on eBay. Yes you read it right, eBay. I got 20 $1.00 coupons for $1.79 - including shipping. So before you make any comments, let me give you a few scenarios where I have used coupons.

Albertsons had their annual Quaker sale. Oatmeal, granola bars, syrup, and pancake mix. The oatmeal and granola bars were buy 5 and get them for a $1.00 each, which is a great deal in it self, retail is about $2.79 - $3.49. Shopping Wal-mart I always bought generic brand. Now that I coupon, I get to buy name brands that cost less than generic or store brands. Anyway..... back to the sale.There are 18 boxes of granola bars here. They are $3.49 at Albertsons. With the sale and coupons I paid $2.46. Yes you read it right, that is .14 cents a box! THEN..... I got 10 boxes of instant QUAKER oatmeal for .60 cents. That's .o6 cents a box! I'm not done, I got 10 boxes of Aunt Jamima pancake mix ($3.39), 10 bottles of Aunt Jamima syrups($4.19), 10 boxes of Captain Crunch WITH Crunch Berries($4.49) are you ready.......... Retail would have been $120.70 BUT I paid $38.16! So what am I going to do with 18 boxes of granola bars, 10 boxes of pancake mix and syrup, and 10 boxes of Captain Crunch.

Granola bars: school lunches, after school snack, preschool snack turn, 72 hour kit
Pancake and Syrup: The pancake mix is good for a year and I bet you the syrup will be gone in 2 months! We love breakfast at our house
Captain Crunch - Most cereal is good for 9 - 12 months. It is good for a snack with or without milk! Again we love breakfast at our house.

So there you go! Couponing at its best! It has really been fun seeing how much I can save and it has helped my budget out A LOT! So psychotic or not,I'm saving some money baby!!!!

2 comments:

  1. lol!!! jamie's comment cracked me up. i was thinking...5 sunday papers! those subscriptions alone cost a lot of money BUT i think your savings cover the cost of the papers...NICE!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete