Saturday, January 23, 2010

I have started taking a parenting class again. I took it for about 3 years ago for the 2 previous years and absolutely loved it. It changed my life. The teacher, Sister Tanner is one of the most inspirational people both emotional and spiritually that I have ever met. She has really given me a lot of tools and suggestions to help me in the toughest job of my live - being a mom! I thought that I had heard it enough times that I could implement it and adapt it to my life. Well not so much. After all she did say that it took her 7 years for her techniques to become habit - and here I am thinking I could do it in 2!!! So we are back - yup Jake is going with me! I am so excited to get some more ideas and tools in the never ending quest of "being a good parent". Not that I even know what that means but I sort of have an idea how I would "like" it to be! Anyhow she puts together a syllabus that has the outline of her lesson, quotes from the prophets, scriptures, stories and poems. I came across this poem and it made me think of my last post. Even though I try and most of the time fail, having a clean house is not where my high should come from.
Maybe one day I will get it!

Excuse this House
Some houses try to hide the fact
that children shelter here.
Our boasts of it quite openly
the signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows,
little smudges on the door.
I should apologize I guess,
for toys strewn on the floor.
But I sat down with the children
and we laughed & played & read.
And if the doorbell doesn't shine
their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I am forced to choose
the job or the other.
I want to be a housewife,
but first I'll be a Mother.

2 comments:

  1. love that poem!!!!! see...we don't need clean houses...it's over rated! :) update your blog with good parenting tips and ideas! I am interested to hear some

    ReplyDelete